Historic Wolf Hotel
Kelli Penner is the "behind the scenes" person that keep things running smoothly. She is also an Ellinwood native who majored photography and had a studio in the basement of the Wolf Hotel. That studio has since been converted it into visual history that takes you back to yesteryear.
Stacy and Brian Strecker, Linda Penner, Nora Tyson, Beth Brummer, and Lauren Spare are our current committee members. They volunteer their time to keep the Hotel running in the right direction. And a BIG THANK YOU to all the other volunteers and people who support The Wolf Hotel project.
Christopher McCord, an Ellinwood, KS native, is the proud owner of The Historic Wolf Hotel. He never dreamed he would own The Wolf Hotel, but now he is living his life around it. With lots of hopes and dreams for the future, McCord has repurposed and restored the Wolf Hotel. Next up is the opening of the bar, "The Underground", located in the tunnels and working toward many more days restoring the hotel to it's former glory.
The Wolf Hotel was built in 1894 by John Wolf as an addition to the Delmonico Hotel which would have stood just north of the building which is now the Sunflower Bank parking lot. The addition added several rooms to the Hotel along with a new lobby, underground stores and the Bank of Ellinwood. The Bank was the last to open due to intricate tile work being laid. The lobby sat on the east side of the building and the bank sat on the west. Downstairs, which was part of the underground tunnel system that ran through Ellinwood, were the Drummer's room and Joe's Snack Counter. The downstairs changed many times becoming Weber's Sample Room, the library, a gym and another underground bar and cards room. The downstairs still houses the first air condiitoner in Barton County. Fred Wolf, John Wolf's son, added on the Sunflower Dining room in 1924. The Sunflower dining room was a prestigious restaurant that attracted people from many places with its amber lighting and wheat shock columns. The Wolf Hotel has been home to many businesses throughout the years. For the past thirty plus years it has been an antique store, until Christopher McCord purchased the building in 2013 in order to restore it to original purpose.